Friday, March 20, 2020

Of COVID-19: "Who sinned?"

Lectionary Readings for The Fourth Sunday in Lent - March 22  
As Jesus walked along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned; he was born blind so that God’s works might be revealed in him. We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

My reflection:
There are still many including some prominent tele/megachurch evangelists  in our contemporary society who still subscribes to the theory of a direct causal relationship between wellness and sin. You may have even heard similar versions from some who are attributing COVID-19 to being a "spiritual attack on humanity" or "signs of the end-times" or even a generational attack based on Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me" - King James Version - or that humanity is being punished by God for the sins of one nation which has finally caught up with us. I do not know where you stand in all of these but I ask you consider sharing your thoughts with me by leaving a Comment. 

FOR YOUR FURTHER MEDITATION
1. Do you see a direct causal relationship between wellness, sin and COVID-19? What is the basis of that relationship? 
2. How does that (basis) shape your understanding of individual and corporate social justice responsibilities? Or of the incarnate God's concern for humanity or even the Psalmist's thoughts in the portion of Psalm 23 below: 
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I shall fear no evil; * for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.  You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; * you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over. Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, * and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

3. If the John text above is considered at "face-value" what works of God might (possibly) be revealed to humanity through the COVID-19 pandemic?

No comments:

Post a Comment